If you have lasting back pain and other related symptoms, you know how disruptive to your life it can be. You may be unable to think of little else except finding relief. Some people turn to spinal decompression therapy.
Non-surgical spinal decompression is a treatment that uses a pulling force on the spine to relieve pressure on the discs and vertebrae in either the lumbar or cervical spine regions. It is used to treat a variety of common causes of back or neck pain.
- herniated lumbar disc
- bulging disc
- spinal stenosis
- degenerated disc
- facet syndrome
- sciatica/leg pain
Spinal decompression can be delivered with hands or devices. It essentially pulls to separate the lower body from the upper body.
Spinal Decompression Back Pain
At Balanced Body Acupuncture & Chiropractic in Omaha, Dr. Baker uses a Deluxe Automatic Flexion Table which is a full-featured automatic flexion and complete air drop table. This table offers variable speed flexion, electric adjustable height.
The movement of the table is similar to your body reacting to a wave in the ocean, decompresses the disc space and mobilizes the joints of the spine to create an opening and stretching effect. This is also considered a negative pressure which has 2 benefits:
- It pulls the herniated or bulging disc back into the correct space
- Promotes the passage of healing nutrients & nerve pathways through your spine. In return, the nervous system functions more optimally, and a boost to your immune system.
The flexion-distraction method used at Balanced Body Acupuncture & Chiropractic is safe and gentle on your body. It’s a non-surgical approach to pain backed by federally-funded research and documentation.
Below is what a Spinal Decompression treatment entails:
- Patient will lay in the prone position which is face down on the table. The table is separated into 3 sections that move independently based on which Dr. Baker chooses.
- The first section is your neck
- second is your upper shoulder area
- the third is your lower back and hips. He decompresses each section independently.
- The table is motorized, which means Dr. Baker will turn on the table and move it left, middle, and right. He controls the movements.
- During each movement, the table is flexing down and up. This is what creates a slow wave like motion creating negative pressure to pull the herniated or bulging disc back into place. Thus, providing traction and relaxation of the muscles.
- This works extremely well for any lower back pain, it doesn’t just have to be disc issues. Pregnancy, lifting, computer work, exercise are just to name a few that can create pain.
- You should not feel pain during or after the decompression therapy, but a stretching motion.